|Philosophy 102: Introduction to
Ethics and Philosophical Ethics
ETHICS TEST CONTENTS
Bernard de Mandeville, "Man is
1. __________de Mandeville trues to convince
people that they are better off if they are selfless and helpful to others.
2. __________These wise men or politicians try to
convince people through flattery that honor comes from denying yourself and shame comes
from seeking your own interests.
3. __________If you try to benefit others, according to de Mandeville, then you are acting
in accordance with nature.
4. __________The moral virtues, according to de
Mandeville, were invented in order to subjugate people.
5. __________The politicians are only after their own interests and seek to get others to
sacrifice for their benefit.
6. __________A person who has pity for a baby about to be thrown into the fire is really
looking after his own interests, according to de Manville.
7. __________The notion of God is used by the politicians as a threat of punishment if the
people seek their own interest.
8. __________The theory that each person seeks his own interest is called ethical
9. __________de Mandeville seeks to show that psychological hedonism is true.
10. __________He seeks to show that ethical hedonism is true.