Next: About this document ...
Problem Set 1: Diagramming Arguments
Directions: Diagram the the structure of the following arguments by referring to the numbered statements.
- (1) Cranberry juice prevents kidney infections (2) inasmuch as persons who drink large amounts do not get many kidney infections.
- (1) I know that God exists (2) because the world is well ordered by scientific law, (3) and this order is probably not due to chance alone.
- (1) Some students absent today are unprepared for this quiz, (2) since the law of averages dictates that only 10% of students are absent due to illness, (3) and more than 10% are absent.
- (1) John has dark circles under his eyes, (2) and he looks tired. (3) He didn't get much sleep last night.
- (1) Joe could have heart problems in the future. (2) He has creased ear-lobes and a depressed sternum (3) and these characteristics have been associated with heart attacks.