INTRO TO PHIL HOME
|Philosophy 102: Introduction to
Test 1: The Meaning of Life
Matching (10 points): Match the
key idea with the philosopher who used it. Put the appropriate letter in the blank space
Essay (40 points): Clearly and completely explain your answers three of
the following questions on a separate sheet of paper. State reasons for your
- What is the Socratic Paradox? What has Socrates spent his whole life doing? If I cheat
on a test, graduate, and get a high-paying job, would Socrates say I have acted in my own
- What gives meaning to life according to Russell? Explain what he means by the
philosophic mind. How does the philosophic mind differ from the practical mind?
- What gives meaning to life according to Tolstoy? Explain his answer clearly and
- What is Camus answer to the meaning of life. Explain how is answer to lifes
meaning is related to the notion of the Absurd. What is the Absurd?
- What is Socrates argument that death is a good? Why does not Socrates consider the
existence of hell to be a real possibility?