Philosophy 203: Scientific Reasoning
Quiz: Diagramming Arguments
Directions: Diagram the
following arguments. Tell whether they are deductive or inductive. If a passage is not an
argument, state why it is not.
- (1) Two chambers separated by a screen that allows water to pass freely cannot be
acoustically separate.(2) since water conducts sound about four times better than air.
- (1) Because a warmer climate is much more favorable to humankind than a cooler climate,
(2) global warming is not to be feared.
- (1) Some mathematicians do not have to travel to do astronomy. (2) Eratosthenes 2,000
years ago used simple geometry with a stick and a hole in the ground during a summer
solstice, (3) and he calculated an accurate measurement of the circumference of the Earth.
- (1) In light of the fact that studies of stroke patients have shown that damage in the
lateral fusiform gyrus area of the brain cause an inability to recognize faces, and (2)
damage in the area of the medial fusiform gyrus cause an inability to recognize houses,
(3) scientists suppose that the brain dedicates separate regions to the identification of
- (1) For the reason that better sanitation, antibiotics, and vaccinations have killed off
microbes that do human beings no harm, (2) and the reason that people are no longer being
exposed to these micro-organisms, (3)antiseptic surroundings might not allow a child's
immune system to practice fighting off bacteria. (4) Consequently, illnesses such as
asthma and allergies are on the rise in most developed countries.